Okay, Estonia moved a Soviet war memorial. Why am I so uneasy?
- The Russian government is going ballistic. This means they think it's their business.
- Estonia's population is about one-quarter ethnic Russians. Who may at some point "need to be protected" by other Russians.
- One demonstrator, according to BBC Radio this morning, has been killed (although the story referenced above does not mention that, even though it's also BBC -- obviously the situation is still quite chaotic).
- BBC Radio interviewed someone from the Russian Duma who's on their foreign-affairs committee, and her mindless, fatuous, emotional rhetoric took me back to listening to Soviet politicians. It was eery, actually.
- Putin is already repressing the media and now he's flouting treaties.
- This is suspiciously timed for a moment when the US government is heavily committed elsewhere and distracted by internal conflict and an impending presidential race.
Yeah, I'm uneasy all right.